Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Utah the happiest state!

So I just finished reading a few articles stating that Utah was ranked first in a Gallup pole for being the happiest state. It was quite interesting actually. It included questions about physical health, mental health, work, access to necessities, and how often you smile or laugh. I was most entertained at the blog comments that this stirred up. I find it very funny that so many people believe that Utah is happy because we are all "white Mormons on antidepressants who by the way suppress their women." Well, I can't argue there. I am a white stay-at-home Mormon on antidepressants. I am very happy.
This has given me the opportunity to reflect. Why am I happy? I have lived in seven or eight states, I feel like it has very little to do with the actual state but my state of mind. I am not just happy, but have joy and satisfaction in my life. It is because:
1) I have the most beautiful creations ever made ( I had a part in the making too) Teigan and Brielle.
2) I have an amazing, hard-working and might I add very attractive husband who loves me
3) I have the answers to life's most sought questions
4) Heavenly Father loves me and wants me to be HAPPY!
5) I am on antidepressants. Let me explain. I have a family history from both sides of my family of this horrible illness and have struggled with it since my youth. When I take medication, I am not just happy all the time ( ask Bryce) It merely allows me to be at ground zero and then have the clarity and choice to be happy. Mental illness like depression is an illness comparable to other illnesses that require medicinal therapy.
6) My community. I have neighbors who get up at six and run with me in the cold. Some others brought me soup when I had the flu for a week. I can take my kids to almost anyone in the neighborhood if needed and not worry. I have playgroups with great friends. These are wonderful people and no I am not just talking about the relatives, although they are also a huge part.
7) opportunity is all around me. I feel like I could be successful in anything. If you want to hear my latest ideas just ask.
The list goes on......... Why are you happy? Or maybe you are not....think about it. Hawaii was second. My birthplace. Hey maybe it is just me. I make everyone happy JK Comments please?
Italic

No comments: